About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Easily Solvable U.S. TV Police Dramas

Do you know what I hate?

Easily solvable U.S. TV police dramas.

There is nothing worse than sitting down for what one supposes is a police drama - well, written, well-acted and thought-provoking only to have it spoiled early on in the broadcast.

If that seems like a paradox, it's not.

What spoils it for me is how often a whodunnit is solved because of who has been cast in the show.

Maybe I'm going to spoil it for you, too, but if you are watching a police drama, check out the actors.

I don't mean the usual cast, rather I'm talking about the special guest stars.

As soon as you see a well-known actor appear in a role longer than a cameo, you know who did it.

No well-known actor worth his salt is going to be hired to play a minor role. No! They are being hired to play a major role. And... 9 times out of 10, that person is the criminal.

Don't believe me - check it out. Everything from CSI, to Law & Order and all points in-between.

It's ridiculous.

Perfectly well-written and acted shows ruined by the casting director.

Hunh. Maybe I should say I hate casting directors.

If you to find that this fatal flaw in casting to be true, might I suggest you watch a British cop drama - all over PBS on Masterpiece Theatre and others. DCI Banks, Midsomer Murders, Frost, Lewis, Inspector Morse, Cracker, Lovejoy... shows I suggest because unless you live in the United Kingdom, you probably don't know these actors or guest stars and as such, there will be no clue as to who actually did it.

As an aside, I believe only Midsomer Murders actually has proper sound pick-ups. I find I have to crank the volume up quite high on all the other shows, as their outdoor sound quality is appalling.

Do you know what I hate?
     
Easily solvable U.S. TV police dramas.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. heart Cracker? Hey - who doesn't love Hagrid, I mean Coltrane?! Cheers!

      Delete

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.