About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Kid's Birthday Party Gift Bags

Do you know what I hate?

It's kid's party gift bags.

There used to be a time when you as a kid were invited to a birthday party and you (your parents) would shell out for a gift for the lucky bastard getting older. The parents of the birthday child would shell out a few bucks for a birthday cake - maybe they would take the kids out to go bowling or some other activity, but often enough the kids would all hang around the house playing board games just having fun.

But no longer. Not only does the family of the parents have to organize an activity where they can rent a room outside their house, but they also have to pony up cash to purchase gift bags for all of the kids who came to the party!

What the hell is that? The Oscars? Cannes?

When did it come to this? Where kids EXPECT to receive a present just for showing up to a birthday party?!

And it's not just a simple gift bag! No! Parents are now out to outdo one another, with grander and grander gifts filled with more crap, tissue paper and a fancy gift bag to give to a six-year-old who could care less!

On many an occasion, the amount of stuff in the gift bag far exceeded the $20 limit we spent on a present for the birthday child! 

When did it become less about having a pizza slice, some cake, and singing happy birthday to a friend?

When did it also have to become about giving presents to the guests to thank them for coming?

I'm not a rich guy. But when it comes to my son who will be turning seven in December - there's no expense I wouldn't spare to make sure he's happy! But why do I also have to impress his friend's parents?

I don't.

I want to go on record that I have never purchased gift bags for any of my son's friends when they come to a party.

And you know what? The kids don't care. The important thing for them was that they had a good time.

Rather than taking everybody out and away from the house to go to a 'games activity' center, I bring in the activity.

Two years ago we brought in a company that carted in some animals that the kids could not only pet - but they were taught about the animals! A blue-tongued skink and I enjoyed each others company as he fell asleep in my arms.While I can't recall the exact company we used - here's a Toronto listing: HERE. I'm sure you can find something similar in your city. Prices were decent for the hour-plus show.

Since my son's birthday is close to Christmas, we bought a few small pre-cooked gingerbread cookie kits and had the kids construct their own - we supplied the icing/glue.

Last year we brought in a company (Bugs Without Borders) that specialized in bugs! I fricking HATE bugs! But there I was petting a giant millipede that normally would have been crunching under my old Adidas!

The kids played with the bugs gently - they learned about the bugs - they even received a small kit from the company that had a bug in it that they could feed and raise. I'm pretty sure ours grew from a maggot and escaped it's plastic cage and later found its way spattered with a bug swatter!

And... while it seems like the kids got a gift - they did - but it wasn't me going out and buying a fancy gift bag filled with junk from a dollar store. Don't get me wrong, dollar stores are great - but kids don't NEED that junk. If they want it, you can but it for them. They don't need it given to them.

I will state that one of Hudson's friends gave his guests a mystery LEGO pack containing a minifigure—Brilliant!—but that's still $5! Multiply that by 12 kids and that's... let's see... twenty plus the square root of my blood-pressure... a lot of money! Money that need not be spent - especially after having spent money on the party proper!

This year - no gift bags again. We are taking two of his best friends out to Medieval Times here in Toronto. They can have food without forks, all the mead they can drink, can watch some great jousting and sword battles and maybe dad can slap a wench on the ass.

Stop the insanity. No more gift bags. Who the hell do we need to impress? No one. Just your own kid(s).

Gift bags, my ass.

Do you know what I hate?

Kid's birthday party gift bags.

8 comments:

  1. The story was marvelous and does have intellectual flavour in it..
    Highly Appreciated..

    Handmade Wedding Cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I've always just let my son go out with one of his good friends to a pizza/rides/games place here in Tulsa and had a cake and a couple gifts at home with the family. My daughter is turning 5 this month and I'm throwing the first birthday party ever. I am seriously gonna go do a few shots after I comment here. I'm that stressed about it. I mean, what the hell am I gonna do with these kids for that long? The money on decorations and activities and blah blah blah. I think I'm more cynical than you are! I found this by typing in "What the the hell am I supposed to do for my kid's birthday?"

    Sigh. I know it sounds selfish. But what you say is true. I don't give a damn about the Jones but with all these "standards" it's a little disheartening. It should be a happy day. Not one filled with tons of money being spent and stress. Ugh. Thanks for your article and for giving me a comment box in which to vent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. I just had my son's 7th birthday party yesterday afternoon. We only had two friends of his and I am hung over emotionally right now. Have you ever tried to do up three kid's car seats in the backseat? Holy crap! I thought I was going to have to call off the trip to the Knight show because I couldn't do up the seatbelts! As it was, I had whiny kids wanting to buy souvenirs and gave in and bought each an $8 wooden sword. Mistake. I don't know about you, but I took at least three shots to the groin. (And that's why you don't have a brother or sister!) My wife bought mini gift bags. A Scooby-Doo comic book and a LEGO minifigure pack. $6.50 total plus a dollar store bag. Rather than a cake, she made cupcakes. Dollar store candles. Everyone was happy. I know, I know... $75 for 10 kids... but maybe put your foot down and say only 5 or 6 kids can come. It's tough - especially for the kid's first birthday party, but why mortgage a future meal for an event they will NOT recall 20 years later in therapy. I'm joking about the therapy. (Mom never spent any money on my birthday!) I'm joking here. Hire a magician, or a face painter or a balloon expert for a couple of hours. Bake your own cake if you can. Gift bags: Look, if you must... dollar store. Cheap plastic/glass rings for girls, plastic toys for boys. Start buying stuff now. A few things every payday. I bought my kid's Christmas present back in September knowing I would be screwed thanks to a December birthday.
      You are on the right path, however... you are looking for advice many months in advance. Just remember... she's 5. I have snippets of memory from that era. She'll survive.
      Tulsa, OK sounds like heaven to a Toronto boy. Dollar store shopping. Live within your means and park any ego at the door. You don't have to impress anyone but your daughter (not even yourself - I'm upset that I can't do more), but she will love you just the same for the effort. Cheers. AJ

      Delete
  3. Nice birthday party gift bags. I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, any gift is incomplete without gift bag. Although I totally agree with you that gift bags are expensive but there are some online sites who are selling gift bags on affordable prices like fetpak.com. Besides this, there are so many blogs on how to make gift bags at home which will surely help you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable.Great posts. I love this article.
    ______________________________
    Epic Experiences

    ReplyDelete

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.