About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Friday, May 4, 2012

Telemarketers

Do you know what I hate?

Telemarketers.

Here in Canada (Toronto, even), we have something called a "Do Not Call List" whereby we get to sign up on-line on a government sponsored phone list that means that unless we have done business with a company before, they aren't supposed to call you.

But that does not seem to dissuade a lot of companies who routinely utilize call center companies from other countries - say, India - to ask if I want my ducts cleaned. By the way, I am of Indian extraction, though I've never been there, don't speak the language or eat the food unless my wife makes me.

Now, if that was an euphemism, I might be interested, but it's not and it always seems to be men asking anyway. 

I don't mind that MY banks (plural) contact me. That's cool. But why am I getting a phone call for services from institutions I don't do business with.

I have call display - and no one really wants to call me here at home - so I know that excluding a long-distance call from Guelph, or a a number from a friend or two, an aunt and brother and father - no one else is going to be calling this house.

Upon answering an unsolicited call, I have tried to find out which company the represent, but get the run around - it's like they know they shouldn't give out that information, even though the call center is selling a company's services.

I've tried pretending I was the police investigating a murder scene - that one only confuses the call center, as they have no idea that what I am doing is a trick and keep going with their sales spiel. 

I have picked up the phone and immediately hung it up, only to have them call back again.

Sometimes, I stupidly pick up an unsolicited call, hear the empty silence for one second after I say "Hello", and then hang-up. It's because they have an automatic dialer... so these bastards are too lazy to even call me up themselves... I know that when I hear the sounds of momentary silence after my greeting that it's a telemarketer.

I even get telephone spam at work. At freaking work. We all do. It's a blast of a ships horn telling me that my ship is getting ready to sail and that I should be on a cruise.

I should be, but I don't need unsolicited calls like this at work. It's a recorded message, so I can't even yell at anyone. Does anyone actually ever write down the phone number to go on these cruises?

I mean... if these guys are so desperate to use a recorded dialer to leave messages at a work place, just how reputable a company can the cruise line be? I'm guess it probably uses some sort ff disgraced Italian captain to pilot the boat.

What? Too soon?

Here's what the Canadian National Registry has to say about itself:   

'Register My Number

In order to register on the National Do Not Call List (DNCL) personal information will be collected, used and disclosed by the National DNCL Operator in order to register, verify and de-register residential, wireless, fax or VoIP telephone number(s) on the National DNCL. The numbers registered by consumers on the National DNCL will be disclosed to telemarketers and clients of telemarketers and other subscribers to the National DNCL to prevent telemarketing calls to those numbers. The numbers may also be disclosed, on a confidential basis, by telemarketers and clients of telemarketers and other subscribers to the National DNCL to another person involved in supplying the subscriber with services to enable compliance with the National DNCL Rules.
In addition, personal information will be collected, used and disclosed by the National DNCL Operator, the CRTC and/or its Complaints Investigator Delegate in order to investigate complaints regarding violations of the Unsolicited Telecommunications Rules, to administer and enforce these rules, and for audit and quality assurance purposes. Personal information may also be disclosed to Canadian and/or foreign law enforcement agencies for the purpose of administering or enforcing any law or carrying out a lawful investigation.
Should you wish to move to Canada and sign up for this - and hopefully it will work better for you than it does for me - click HERE and try your luck. 

Still.... do you know what I hate?

Telemarketers.

6 comments:

  1. Telemarketing is very useful method of enhance the business. Thanks Telemarketing Leads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that telemarketing can enhance a business. I am all for it, actually. But, companies that utilize call centers outside of the country of interest and then call people they are not supposed to call - that's what get's my goat.
      Why is it that more of ten than not, the only companies calling me are offering to clean my duct work in my house?
      Why have they offered to clean my duct work at my place of business? It's not MY business! It's not my building! I don't make the financial decisions!
      I think I dislike telemarketers in this instance because they don't do their research. It's like "here's a list - call everyone."
      I had to do that working for a bank's credit card company, offering them a chance to get biz insurance... at least they had the credit card, but it still sucked because we were calling companies that we had no information about. It wasn't targeting customers who MIGHT need our services, it was simply call everyone.
      It's lazy. It's cheap. And I hate it.
      Duct cleaning, by the way? If I have a furnace blowing air through my duct work, I shouldn't need my ducts cleaned every six months. I've talked to them and asked to be removed from the list (pre-do not call registry), and still they would call.
      I've been threatened by other representatives who have all sorts of information about me and have harassed me with repeated calls, laughing at me because I couldn't stop them. I did eventually block them, but that idiot didn't know his calls are monitored by his bosses.
      Yes.. telemarketing is an effective tool - but when done right, and offering legitimate products or services... but the high-pressure sales techniques where they try and take advantage of you, or know nothing about you, only that you are on a list they bought - that must stop. That's lazy salesmanship. And yeah... I've also worked in retail and done door-to-door sales amongst my many and much varied careers.

      . as some

      Delete
  2. This is what we have: http://www.familysafemedia.com/screen_machine_telemarketer_ca.html and I have NO f'ing clue why production has been discontinued. You should scour ebay or Craigslist to see if anyone is selling one. And if you ever speak to a telemarketer, unless you specifically say, "put me on your do-not-disturb list, they are in their rights (<-Ha!) to call you back.

    MjH

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that you should hate it,Do not call list are those telemarketers that offering a stuff that you don't want it and sometimes it fraud.I know what are you feeling to those telemarketers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because they refuse to honour the Do-Not-Call list, we have started using a great response… We let them make the appointment, then when they show up at our door we tell them since you keep wasting our time we thought it only fair we waste yours and shut the door. We now do it with all of them. Maybe if more people do this the companies that use those annoying overseas telemarketers that do not honour the no call list will begin to use local telemarketing firms. We just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about doing the same thing!
      But... I have also thought about letting them talk to discover WHO or WHAT company they are calling on behalf of, and then report them for violating the do-not call list.
      I keep getting duct cleaning services - how about you?

      Delete

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.