About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Improper Use Of The Turn Signal

Do you know what I hate?

It's people who drive who have no concept on how to properly use their turn signal.

No... I'm not talking about the dumb sap who has left his/her turn signal on and is driving with it clicking left for five kilometers. Rather, I am talking about people who truly do not know how to properly use a turn signal. And it freaks me out when I have to watch them drive.

The turn signal on a motor vehicle is to let people in your lane behind and in front of you, as well as in the lanes beside you, that you have the intention of changing lanes. It means you want or need to get into another lane. It means you may need to slow down to properly make the lane change or possibly even speed up a bit to make the lane change as smooth and safe for every one involved.

Let me present you with a scenario and ask you to answer an easy question.

You are driving along and you realize you need to get over one lane. There's traffic. What do you do?

Do you:
  1. Just start moving over and hope for the best? 
  2. Wait until there is an opening and move into the other lane?
  3. Wait until there is an opening and then signal and move into the other lane?
  4. Signal, and when someone lets you in, you move into the other lane?
These are obviously simplified version of the rules of the road... you should use the mirrors, shoulder check et al. 

If  you chose any option other than #4, you are a poor driver. I'll explain.

Option 1: How the hell did you get your license?Failure to signal is a good way to cut some off and possibly kill yourself or the person you are cutting off. Idiots.

Option 2: Again... no signaling? What is wrong with you? It's a courtesy to the cars behind and in front of you... you know... in case they might want to know if it safe for them to change lanes?

Option 3: What is the point? Yes, you are finally getting some manners by signaling... but why are you waiting until the coast is clear. On a busy roadway - like a Toronto rush-hour commute, it is never clear. You will never be able to change lanes. 

Option 4: This is how you safely and properly make a lane change. How many people actually do this? Surprisingly here in Toronto, not as many as you would hope.

On any given drive in and out of work, I will be cut off no less than three times. It's okay, though, because I drive like I am going to be cut-off, so my defensive driving prepares me to react. I also have great reflexes - like a cat! Meow!     

Look... I was no angel behind the wheel as a young man. I've taken my cars as fast as they will go. I've owned a laser-radar detector. But let me tell you... when you are traveling nearly 240 kph and you have a quarter-mile head start on a cop using a radar or laser on you... you are still going to blow by the cop at an excessive speed. You can not slow down fast enough. I was stupid and lucky to have never been caught. Or killed anyone - including myself.

So... I'm not a great driver... though I suppose since becoming a family man, I have learned how to be a better driver. Hence this rant.

But back to the hate... signal... await an opening... and make your lane change when you are sure it is safe to do so.

Don't forget to give the wave, either. 

Do you know what I hate?

It's the improper use of the turn signal. 

3 comments:

  1. I ve witnessed dis many times....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What drives (no pun intended) me crazy is when I'm about to make a turn and I'm waiting on someone to pass on the road I want onto, and they turn at the last minute. If they had signaled, I would have been able to go ahead and go, but instead their selfish laziness has inconvenienced me and made me wait. It ticks me off every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! What's your opinion on who are your blog's average subscribers?

    ReplyDelete

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.