About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Monday, September 13, 2010

People Who Say I Look Like Someone Else

You know what I hate? People who say I look like someone else.

In my early 20's when I had longer hair, people used to say I looked like actor Jeff Goldblum, a goofy-looking guy and movie star, to be sure, but at least he was married to mega hot-babe, Geena Davis. I guess I didn't mind that one so much - at least people were looking. 

But  - for the past 10 years, after putting on some weight and cutting the long hair, I frequently have people coming up to me and telling me I look like someone else - movie star, comedian and deceased, Rodney Dangerfield.

Right. I look like a dead, white, 72-year-old, stocky, Jewish comedian. I tell ya, I get no respect. No respect at all.

People says it's either my eyes (I have wacky screwed up, bulgy eyes? No!) or it's my mannerism (what, am I always shaking my leg and tugging at my shirt collar? No!). Regardless of why, it ticks me off.

What gives people the right to say stuff like that to me? Do I invite ridicule? No! Perhaps if I was told I looked similar to pretty-boy Brad Pitt, I wouldn't take such offense, but Rappin' Rodney?  

I'm not saying people are right or wrong in their assessment of my looks and collar tugging - I'm just asking what ever happened to people minding their own damn business? Do people say whatever is on their damn mind, regardless of the consequences? My blogs, not withstanding, of course.

I don't go out of my way to tell people they look like someone else. I'm Andrew, dammit. I look like friggin' Andrew! What gives complete strangers the right to come up to me and tell me that I look like someone else? Nothing does. Boundaries, people. Boundaries. Remember, if you can't say something nice about a specific person, say nothing at all.

You know what I hate?  

People... well, yes, people, but specifically people who say I look like someone else. 

3 comments:

  1. Can I sign and use this blog in my school? I will pay you 10000 dollars, because every word you wrote here is completely true.

    I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Save your money. You can use it... but change it. I once copied a comic book story from the 1950s and gave it in as a short story I wrote. I was ripped. Not because I was caught - no... because the work was so crappy. Spelling mistakes and grammar! And I copied it word for word.
      I was offered another chance to create another story - and I did - all my own.
      As such... borrow, but make it your own. As you can tell... I learned from that... write in your own voice and write it well.
      Good luck, Ram.

      Delete
  2. Dude this had me rolling really funny, I need to find a funny chatroom to creep on

    ReplyDelete

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.