About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

People Who Don't Say Thank-You

You know what I hate - well, aside from trying to create this blog and not being able to get the blog address I want - I hate people who don't say thank-you when you do something positive for them.

I'm not talking about you handing the cashier your money at the local McDonald's (though I think they should say thanks) - for today's rant, I'm talking about those a$$holes who slowly strut through the door you are holding open for them and don't bother to acknowledge you with a thank-you.

When did we as a society stop being polite? What the hell, people? It's not a race thing or a sex thing or even an age thing. Men, women, boys and girls of all ages have been guilty of this.

I'm not a prick. I don't play with myself as people walk past me. I'm well-dressed, use deodorant, shower often, and I'm not deformed or creepy-looking in anyway that might make someone leery or afraid to talk to me.

Last week at work - I work in a large office building home to several thousand employees - I held the door open for a 20-something man and woman who were 20-feet behind me. I had been in the same elevator as them just seconds earlier - in fact, it was just the three of us in Lord Otis' crypt.

I'm not a slow walker, and may even be considered quick, but it's not because I'm in a hurry. Still, I got to the building's exit before they did and walked through, but held the door open while they took their sweet time. Taking their time is fine - I can't bitch about someone's walking speed in this instance - but after they walked past me, there was no acknowledgment to me for holding the door open for them. It was like they expected me to hold the door open for them.

They weren't the first - I'm 45 and live in Toronto - it happens all the time in this manner-less city. Okay, not everyone is manner-less, but it sure seems that way.

My parents tried their best to bring me up properly. Whether it was to respect my elders, say please and thank-you, stand and shut up when the National Anthem is being played or to give up my seat for the elderly or pregnant - I've always tried to do the right thing.
 
It's why I don't mind holding a door for people. It's me being polite - and no I don't want a friggin' medal for it.

For the past several years now if someone doesn't smile, nod or say thanks after I hold a door for them, I've done a mock bow and excreted a: "You're welcome, Your Lordship (or Your Grace)". In my mind it wasn't to get them to say thank-you - because by embarrassing them most people are loathe to say anything. But one guy did. He actually stopped, turned around, looked me in the eye and apologized. He caught me off guard, but I told him that his apology was accepted - we smiled genuinely at each other and went our way.

While that man must have had a momentarily lapse of manners - he had the good sense and manners to apologize. For the rest of the people who lack manners - while it may not come from me, but just remember what goes around comes around, and look in at yourself the next time you wonder why society has gone to Hell in a hand-basket.


I hate people who don't say thank-you.

Thank-you for reading.

7 comments:

  1. Steve Bongo GuzelisAugust 1, 2010 at 6:56 AM

    That door thing makes me soooo angry. Good thing I'm a Buddhist, or I'd burn 'em. Burn 'em all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too get frustrated by the lack of the use of "thank you" - esp. at stores - ANY STORE - that I give money to. I often leave wondering, "is there a clip level of $ I need to spend before it warrants a thank you from them???"

    Another idea that I have not acted upon yet is to buy everything, then when I don't get a thank you, immediately return it all with the reason for that act being that I did not receive a thank you. But IF / WHEN I ever do that, I should return everything directly to the store manager in order to drive the point home.

    As my wife and I always say, one of our top three things we miss from life in Japan is the Japanese level of customer service - where thank you (ありがとうございました) is ALWAYS given at any store from any clerk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was brought up the same way, I always hold doors for people.
    When leaving an elevator unless I'm blocking the door, I choose to hold the door until everyone else getting off gets off. I have found that the polite "thanks" is about 50-50 these days, but it never discourages me. I take solace in the fact that it is the right thing to do even if it is not appreciated.
    It matters not to me that there is no response. One "thanks" cancels out 10 nothings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when the plastic ring on the sunflower oil breaks in two and I have to dig out the pliers to open the bottle to finish making my chocolate cake! Oh, and I hate it when people have no manners too, particularly at my former place of employment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me more about the sunflower plastic ring. It sounds frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've felt for a long while now that society has gone to Hell in a handbasket - whatever that means. This blog is mean spouting off on some of those. Everyone is welcome to spout off on what ticks them off - in fact, e-mail and I'll probably publish what YOU hate. Probably. I'm covering a$$.

    ReplyDelete

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.