About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Andrew was born in London, UK, raised in Toronto, Canada, and cavorted in Ohtawara, Japan for three years. He is married, has a son, a cat named Freddy and a dog named Shaggy (after the dudes in Scooby-Doo). He has over 35,000 comic books and a plethora of pioneer aviation-related tobacco and sports cards and likes to build LEGO dioramas. Along with writing for a monthly industrial magazine, he also writes comic books and hates writing in the 3rd person. He also hates having to write this crap that no one will ever read. He also writes an aviation blog: Pioneers Of Aviation ( https://av8rblog.wordpress.com/ ) - a cool blog on early fliers. He also wants to do more writing - for money, though. Help him out so he can stop talking in the 3rd person.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Customs

You know what I hate? Customs - the type you face when crossing over into another country.
I drove across the Canadian border into the U.S. on Wednesday - in what has always been a slightly irksome 30-minute wait for the past 10 years morphed into a nearly 2-hour wait this year. That's 2 hours of me sitting on the bridge at Sarnia inching closer to the customs agents... 2 hours of me having to take a whizz.

There was no reason for it... I, of course, picked the slowest line to follow (damn that Murphy and his stupid law)... when I actually got to the US customs agent we chatted for no more than two minutes before he was satisfied that there was no way in hell a would-be terrorist would pretend to be a nerd going to a comic book show in Chicago as his excuse for entering America... so what was the hold-up?

No explanation offered - and I sure as heck wasn't going to ask... but I lost nearly 2 hours of my day sitting in a hot car thinking about not peeing. I ended up peeing in a McDonald's medium coffee cup because I didn't want to lose any time trying to wrangle a bathroom key at a grungy gas station washroom. Twice. You don't want to be following me when I'm dumping something out of my car. 

(Okay, I made sure there was no one behind me). Thank gawd for kiddie wipes!!!

The US has every right to protect its borders. I applaud that. I encourage it. But two hours??! That's not cool.

I love America (not as much as Canada - but that's just me), but I sure hate that wait and drag that occurs at US customs.

Does anyone out there have a horor story they's care to see as their guest-written blog? E-mail me and send it in! Let's do it. It's my whine... but like any party, it's better when you share the whine.

I hate customs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creator of this blog assumes no liability for comments issued by others.
No racists, sexist or religious comments. It's okay to hate someone or something, but let's not be jerks about it and stoop to their level. No swearing. Lets be eloquent in our hatred of people and things that tick us off.